Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Macon, Georgis: my favorite example of traditonal neighborhood


My entire family is from Macon, Georgia, and I have always loved visiting everyone. Downtown Macon is full of history and activities such as the famous Cherry Tree Festival. I have always known that I loved Macon, but it was not until my English class that I realized that down town Macon is a perfect example of a traditional neighborhood, and that is one of the reasons I have always enjoyed spending time there.


Downtown Macon is full of historic homes that were built before the Civil War, and these homes are always my favorite to look at. I have visited homes such as the Cannonball House , a mansion that was hit with a cannonball during Stoneman’s raid but restored beautifully. Other things to do include The Cherry Tree Festival; Macon is famous for their cherry trees, and the pink blossoms add so much beauty to Macon. Not only is Macon historic, but it incorporates narrow roads with parking on all the roads with large sidewalks. Add ImageRestaurants and small shops line the road. This setup provides walkability, a characteristic of traditional neighborhood according to the authors of Suburban Nation. Because of the setup of the area, there is a greater sense of community. People walk instead of drive cars around the neighborhood allowing everyone to get to know each other adding to sense of community. The public spaces such as the museums also add to the sense.


I am excited for my next visit to Macon next weekend. I will make sure to take the time to appreciate its historic value and and the setup of the area. Everyone is so friendly, and being there lets me enjoy my Southern roots and background.


Molly Waller

No comments:

Post a Comment