Thursday, October 22, 2009

Atlanta's Rep

When I arrived at Ga Tech mid-August this past summer, I'll admit I was overwhelmed. The city was so big and built up, I was a little intimidated. I had been told by my dad to "stay on campus, tech students have been getting robbed" but I couldn't resist my curiosity to see what made this city come to be known as Hot-lanta. Right from the start of my walk, I was amazed and i could definitely see then what Dr. Peterson was talking about in his letter.

The first thing I had to do was go to the Varsity which i had heared so much about before I made my trip to Atlanta. The first thing ever mentioned in any conversation about Atlanta was always the Varsity so that seemed like a logical starting point. When I first walked in, it was amazing how fast they took your order and how impatient some people get when you try to read a menu. The food was good, but after a greasy meal like that I has to continue my journey on foot.

Centinnial Park was my next destination because i had heared how big and beautiful it was; and I was not disappointed. As far as one could see, families were enjoying time together and the sound of laughter filled the air. The open green fields and the Olympic scenery made the park incredible. The park had an indescriable feeling that made it impossible to not smile no matter how hard you try.

It was almost impossible to leave this magical park but I was determined to make it to the CNN Center by the end of the day. And it was definitely worth the trip. The Center was so big and diverse and it completly caught me off guard. For instance, the Cartoon Network area was unexpected and was a nice little trip down "Memory Lane," as I was reminded of Saturday morning cartoons as a child. In addition, the Atlanta Braves' store was like heaven on earth to a baseball fan like me.

After getting off campus then reading Dr. Peterson's letter, I completely agree that everyone should get off campus and explore the city. This city is so new and diverse, its no wonder that rappers want to talk about it and people alwaya talk about wanting to come here.

--Michael Saunders

No comments:

Post a Comment