Thursday, August 27, 2009

How to Describe Virginia Beach?

I moved around a lot as a child because my father was in the army, so it’s hard to describe a hometown. I “grew up” in many different cities so I don’t know a great deal about any one of them. The most recent city in which I lived was Virginia Beach, Virginia. I loved Virginia Beach because there was always something to do and curfew wasn’t enforced even when it applied to me.
I moved to Virginia Beach when I was thirteen and enjoyed being there almost every minute. From where I lived, I could walk to the ocean front along the boardwalk and see live performances by amateur bands. And if I didn’t feel like walking, I could always ride the trolley around the city and get the full experience of the ocean front. All along the beach, huge statues have been erected to depict ocean scenery and ocean related themes. For instance, there is a huge statue of Poseidon on the boardwalk where Twenty-Fifth Street meets the ocean front.
In addition, during the summer, there are sandcastle competitions that would completely shock anyone who saw the structures that can be built from sand. Also, the East Coast Surfing Championship is held in Virginia Beach and, although the waves don’t get very big, it is still fun to watch. And as far as traditions go, every February, there is an event called the Polar Plunge where anyone who wants to participate can dive into the ice cold water just for the thrill of it. I have never done the Polar Plunge because I’m not crazy.
In comparison to Molly’s hometown, VB has a few similarities and many differences. For example, to get to the parts of VB where the stores and restaurants are, a car is necessary. In fact, most of the big establishments are closer to Norfolk than VB. But, there aren’t many open fields, besides the ocean front, for golf courses or things of that sort in VB. In fact, there was only one golf course in the city that I knew of and it was located in a neighborhood for members only.
VB has a very big difference in financial status in regards to the citizens. Some families with lots of money live on the ocean front or in closed gate communities where every house is the same. In my particular neighborhood though, no two houses were the same. The smaller, one floor houses are in the front of the neighborhood and the larger houses are deeper into the neighborhood. I say no two houses are the same because a great deal of my neighbors were architects or in some way designed their own house.
Suburban Nation states that my hometown is considered sprawl but I like that it is a “sprawl-like” city. The fact that one can go to the busier parts of the city to accomplish their errands and go back home to enjoy themselves sounds perfect to me.

-- Michael Saunders

No comments:

Post a Comment